The symptoms are similar to ocular allergies and infection.
Symptoms may exacerbate under the following conditions:
- Contact lens wear
- Heat and air conditioning
- Environmental: wind, cold, smoke, dry weather, high altitude, etc.
- Environmental allergies: such as hay fever, pollen, dust, animals, etc.
- Medications: such as antihistamines, antidepressants, hormone replacement therapy, birth control pills, blood pressure medications, etc.
- Medical conditions such as rosacea, diabetes, collagen vascular, rheumatologic and autoimmune diseases, etc.
- Hormonal changes especially menopause
- The number of hours/ day you read (i.e. your handheld devices, computers, documents, magazines, newspapers, books, etc.)
- History of Accutane use, chemotherapy, radiation, etc.
- Cigarette smoking
All the pre cited symptoms are the way your eyes are telling you they are not comfortable and well protected, much as a cough for pulmonary problem, or a limp for a knee problem.